Senior Economic Specialist
Number of vacancies: (1)
About Ministry of Mines and Petroleum (MoMP)
Ministry of Mines and Petroleum is an enabler of the sector’s development and steward of all mineral and hydrocarbon resources through the implementation of international best practice, policies, regulations and procedures to encourage environmentally and socially acceptable private investment. It is the responsibility of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum to ensure progress in research, exploration, development, and exploitation of both minerals and hydrocarbons. The Ministry of Mines and Petroleum approach is to create the highest level of ministerial competence, promote clear and transparent investment opportunities through modern laws, regulation and policies; and develop a progressive and accountable fiscal regime.
The Ministry of Mines and Petroleum is seeking Afghan experts for the posts of Senior Economic Specialist in to Deputy Minister of Policy & Facilitation of Extractive Programs. The Senior Economic Specialist will be responsible to the Deputy Minister of Policy & Facilitation of Extractive Programs and will work closely with other advisers and colleagues in the Ministry on a range of programs and activities to address the challenges and opportunities for the sustainable development and governance of Afghanistan’s mineral and hydrocarbon resources and extraction industries in line with international best practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide advice and support within all matters related to the economic development of the extractive industries in Afghanistan.
- Undertake assigned research relating to the economic development of the extractive sector.
- Monitor economic issues affecting the extractive sector worldwide, and advice MoMP accordingly.
- Undertake collaborative work with other advisers and Ministry colleagues on a variety of projects.
- Conduct Mineral Value Chain Studies for Industrial and construction Minerals.
- Develop models to examine the likely cost, price structures and fiscal regime for each the mining and mineral sector typically encountered in Afghanistan mining sector. These models will be based on international best practice, local and international information on the production, processing and market prices.
- Contribute to mining related policies development.
- Conduct economic and financial analysis related to the mining sector.
- Prepare research reports, value chain analyzes of minerals, and financial analytical reports of minerals.
- Performing any other tasks assigned by the MoMP Authorities on the basis of laws, regulations and objectives of organization.
- Functional Competencies
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Creative ideas and ability to think outside the box while maintaining cultural integrity
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Excellent project management skill, leadership and team coordination skills
- actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to administrative supports, including project data management support, and reporting.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills, networking aptitude, ability to work in multicultural environment
Qualifications and experience
- Master in Economics or Bachelor (or equivalent degree/experience) in international development and/or economics is mandatory.
- Relevant work experience will be an asset.
- Minimum 5 years for master and 10 years of experience for bachelor degree in international development, economic analysis, policymaking and support;
- Experience in provision of policy advice and technical assistance on data, statistics and indicators for monitoring and accountability of development goals;
- Knowledge and experience of policies on data and statistics for sustainable development;
- Demonstrated excellent analytical, writing and editing skills;
- Prior policy research work experience would be an asset
Applicants are requested to submit a complete application package which must include all required documents (provided below) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your email subject must be: MoMP/AGASP/ Senior Economic Specialist
A current resume or curriculum vitae - Education Certificate.
Note: IN ORDER TO HAVE YOUR APPLICATION CONSIDERED, YOU MUST SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, MENTIONING THE SUBJECT LINE. IF YOU OMIT ANY OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, COVER PAGE, CV. YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Human Resources Department, Development Projects HR Unit, 4th floor, Main Building Ministry of Mines and Petroleum (MoMP), Abdul Haq Square.
For more information, please contact Kh. Abdul Naim Latifi (Development projects HR coordinator)
Contact No: +93700162526