Senior Policy Development Specialist
Number of vacancies: (1)
About Ministry of Mines and Petroleum (MoMP)
Ministry of Mines and Petroleum is an enabler of the sector’s development and steward of all mineral and hydrocarbon resources through the implementation of international best practice, policies, regulations and procedures to encourage environmentally and socially acceptable private investment. It is the responsibility of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum to ensure progress in research, exploration, development, and exploitation of both minerals and hydrocarbons. The Ministry of Mines and Petroleum approach is to create the highest level of ministerial competence, promote clear and transparent investment opportunities through modern laws, regulation and policies; and develop a progressive and accountable fiscal regime.
The Ministry of Mines and Petroleum is in the process of hiring of Senior Policy Development Specialist to Deputy Minister of Policy & Facilitation of Extractive Programs. The Senior Policy Development Specialist will be responsible to Deputy Minister of Policy & Facilitation of Extractive Programs and will work closely with other advisers and colleagues in the Ministry on a range of programs and activities to address the challenges and opportunities for the sustainable development and governance of Afghanistan’s mineral and hydrocarbon resources and extraction industries in line with international best practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analysis and drafting of effective policies, procedures and programs according to the Ministry’s priorities to encompass entire mining cycle.
- Conducting research and contribute to technical aspect of mineral value chain studies.
- Drafting technical documents, acts, and procedures in coordination with the technical, legal and other relevant authorities of the mineral sector.
- Draft, update, and provide recommendation for smooth implementation of the policies and promotion of Afghanistan mineral sector in cooperation of the other government entities and private sector.
- Recommend technical advice on mining processes, monitoring, inspection and awarding of the mining license, for drafting regulations, policies and procedures anticipated in the mineral law.
- Able to draft memos on mining technical issues to High Economic Council and other high level authorities.
- Identify benchmarks and authorities implementing the recommendations of the international community to ensure transparency in mining processes.
- Evaluation of the documents and technical information of mines and ongoing projects.
- Work closely with relevant stakeholders to ensure practicability of documents drafted at MoMP.
- Conduct research for simplification of existing processes and adopt international best practices in this regard.
- Able to do research and identify new streams for revenue generation in the mining sector.
- Work on simplification of existing tendering processes, contract negotiation, contract management, and contribute to Drafting Mining Model Contract.
- Review existing policies and after consultation provide recommendation for updating it.
- Provide Technical advice for development of gemstones upstream, midstream and downstream activities
- Any other task assigned by supervisor
- Functional Competencies
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Creative ideas and ability to think outside the box while maintaining cultural integrity
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Excellent project management skill, leadership and team coordination skills
- actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to administrative supports, including project data management support, and reporting.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm even under pressure and close deadlines.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills, networking aptitude, ability to work in multicultural environment
Qualifications and Skills
- Bsc. /Msc. Degree from recognized university in Geology, Exploration, Exploitation, and mineral resource management.
- Knowledge of extractive industry and sustainable development will be an asset.
- Knowledge of mining hazard management.
- Master degree with 5 years relevant experience and bachelor degree with 10 years relevant experience.
- Experience in provision of policy advice and technical assistance on data, statistics and indicators for monitoring and accountability of development goals;
- Knowledge and experience of policies on data and statistics for sustainable development;
- Demonstrated excellent analytical, writing and editing skills;
- Prior policy research work experience would be an asset
Applicants are requested to submit a complete application package which must include all required documents (provided below) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your email subject must be: MoMP/AGASP/ Senior Policy Development Specialist
A current resume or curriculum vitae - Education Certificate.
Note: IN ORDER TO HAVE YOUR APPLICATION CONSIDERED, YOU MUST SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, MENTIONING THE SUBJECT LINE. IF YOU OMIT ANY OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, COVER PAGE, CV. YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Human Resources Department, Development Projects HR Unit, 4th floor, Main Building Ministry of Mines and Petroleum (MoMP), Abdul Haq Square.
For more information, please contact Kh. Abdul Naim Latifi (Development projects HR coordinator)
Contact No: +93700162526