Environmental and Social Team leader (National)
About Ministry of Mines and Petroleum (MoMP):
Ministry of Mines and Petroleum is an enabler of the sector’s development and steward of all mineral and hydrocarbon resources through the implementation of international best practice, policies, regulations and procedures to encourage environmentally and socially acceptable private investment. It is the responsibility of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum to ensure progress in research, exploration, development, and exploitation of both minerals and hydrocarbons. The Ministry of Mines and Petroleum approach is to create the highest level of ministerial competence, promote clear and transparent investment opportunities through modern laws, regulation and policies; and develop a progressive and inviting fiscal regime.
Under the oval supervision and guidance of the DM-Technical and in close coordination with Aynak Project Authority, the Environmental and Social Development-Team Lead with a team of social development, environmental and community development specialists will have the responsibility for reviewing and updating the environmental and social management frameworks of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum. ESD-LT will be responsible to develop documents and providing input and/or preparing reports as required for the implementation of the mining projects. The ESD-TL will work closely with the Aynak Project Authority and provide conceptual, operational and technical support in related social and environmental issues. The ESD-TL will also work with the Inspection department to ensure compliance.
During the period of contract. It will be essential for the Environmental and Social Team Leader to be available to consult at all times and to be available to attend negotiating meetings, sometimes at short notice.
The Environmental & Social Team Leader will be required to review Environmental and Social issues to provide Environmental and Social advice and support to MoMP officials in reviewing, understanding and implementing the environmental and social provisions of the Aynak Mining Contract; to assist in preparations for discussions and formal negotiations with MJAM; and to participate in such negotiations, providing sound advice and support at all stages through to any agreed amendments of the Contract and implementation thereafter.
The Environmental and Social Team leader in consultation with International Environmental and Social Specialists and relevant Afghan Government Officials will advise MoMP and contractors which Environmental and OHS Standards to apply in the contract and during the implementation and operation of the Mes Aynak Project.
Team Working SkillsTeam BuildingTeamwork
Requires travel to provinces:
• Strong analytical skills and report writing skills
§ Understanding and knowledge of Social development- safeguards and resettlement management.
§ Ability to work under pressure, effectively coordinate research with the team and meet tight deadlines without compromising quality of work.
Computer literacy and knowledge of standard PC software packages (MS. Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.) is essential
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Developing ESD-Team’s operational plan in consultation with the International and National Specialists in line with the MoMP’s Roadmap, specify time-bound deliverables, and making sure that all priority projects have been considered.
- Reviewing the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and suggest how to operationalize the document.
- Defining steps required to ensure compliance with the Environmental and Social Legal and Policy Framework of the Government of Afghanistan.
- Provide support to the national and International Specialists to establish a monitoring, reporting, providing feedback and making corrective actions about the Environmental, OHS and Social concerns in the projects.
- Develop with the help of International and National Specialists complete set of contract clauses to be incorporated as per the needs in relevant contracts.
- In consultation with National, International Experts and MoMP leadership what Standards to be used/applied during operation of the Mes Ayank Project.
- Identify the relevant Environmental, OHS as well as Social Assessment and Management Instruments, e.g., ESIAs, Site specific ESMPs and etc. to be undertaken by competitive International Level Firms and prepare ToRs for such studies.
- Providing technical expertise and policy guidance for ensuring that broader S&E issues are incorporated in the
- Provide Training on Environmental and Social (E&S) Issues to relevant staff of the Aynak Project Authority and the Inspection Department.
- Planning, designing and conducting field surveys and desk-studies to assess the social and environmental impacts of mining projects (planned as well as currently operational projects)
- Developing success and failure case-studies based on research work and disseminate its findings and recommendations among relevant stakeholders.
- Providing research-based policy inputs/options on the E&S issues to the MoMP leadership for decision-making.
- Working in close collaboration with relevant departments in assessing the overall socio-economic impacts of the priority (planned and currently operational) mining projects and recommending actions to be taken based on the assessments.
- Working in close coordination with Aynak Project Authority on the S&E issues. Ensuring that the Aynak Project social development related issues (such as land acquisition, and compensation for loss of assets) are well-addressed.
- Assisting the Aynak Project Authority in ensuring that S&E grievances are managed effectively and transparently through the grievance redress mechanisms.
- Developing social awareness mechanisms and ensuring that the mining projects are social inclusive; such that local communities have been consulted in each phase of the project development.
- Supervising, directing and guiding E&S Specialists, community mobilizers, and other relevant staff assigned to the ESD-Team.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Minimum Bachelor degree in Environmental sciences, law, human rights, development, international relations or related field master degree is plus point.
Having at least 7 years of experience in environmental area with bachelor degree and 5 years of relevant experience with master degree.
At least 3 years of experience at team leader.
Applicants are requested to submit a complete application package which must include all required documents (provided below) to firstname.lastname@example.org with a Subject line
MoMP/PPG/AESD/Environmental and Social Team Leader (Natinal/MoMP Applications must be received by no later than 09 November, 2019.
a. Cover memo/email text that outlines how your qualifications and experience meet the selection criteria.
b. A current resume or curriculum vitae.
Note: IN ORDER TO HAVE YOUR APPLICATION CONSIDERED YOU MUST SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MENTIONING THE SUBJECT LINE. IF YOU OMIT ANY OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS COVER PAGE CV. YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Attention: Development Projects HR Unit 4th floor Main Building Ministry of Mines and Petroleum (MoMP) At Abdul Haq Square.
Ahmad Siar Najib: Projects HR Coordinator
Contact details: 0093 (0) 784 846 000